Social Anxiety is the third largest mental health care problem in the world today. You are not alone
"Social anxiety/avoidant personality is the fear of social situations and the interaction with other people that can automatically bring on feelings of self-consciousness, judgment, evaluation, and criticism. Put another way, social anxiety is the fear and anxiety of being judged and evaluated negatively by other people, leading to feelings of inadequacy, embarrassment, humiliation, and depression."
This is a friendly community for anyone who suffers from a social anxiety associated disorder; avoidant personality, anxiety, phobia, dissociation or excessive shyness. You don't have to be diagnosed to join -- if you feel you are inept socially, join and find out that there is a wealth of support available here for you. This community wishes to serve as a safe place for those of us who are disabled by social fears. We have members from all backgrounds, ages and nationalities - our diversity is not an obstacle to mutual support but rather an unique quality that we cherish.
Community Guidelines - Please read before joining!
1. Everyone should make note that this is a support community where people come to look for help and advice from other people who can relate. We welcome conversations with different point-of-views, but debate is not allowed, nor is critisism or any type of judgment. Lets try to make this a supportive environment.
2. No shameless plugs to your own websites and communities, please. However, we encourage you to post information about social anxiety/avoidant personality/shyness, interesting books or films and subject-related websites.
3. Off-topic posts are not ok. This community is about social anxiety.
4. IMPORTANT! NO cross posting. X-posted entries will not be deleted, but if I see the same member x-posting more than once, I will delete the entries and ban the member if he/she continues x-posting. This rule is here for your safety, not because I enjoy making things inconvenient for you.
5. Long posts are good to keep behind a cut tag.
6. I am aware that social anxiety is connected to a wide range of mental health issues such as depression and self-injury. However, there are many communities here on LiveJournal that specifically concentrate on these mental health conditions. Lets try to keep this community about social anxiety as much as possible. Under no circumstance are you allowed to post self-injury pictures or any material that may be depression/anxiety/self-injury triggering to other members. Please contact the moderator if you're not sure what this means.
7. You will be banned if you attack another member of this community, post insulting entries and/or comments or break these guidelines in any way. First you will be issued a warning. Trolling will not be tolerared under any circumstances. If somebody notices this kind of activity, please contact the moderator as soon as possible.
8. Do NOT give your address or phone number to someone who you merely know in this community. The community and its moderator will not take any kind of responsibility for this kind of activity. However, if phone numbers or addresses are posted in this community, these posts will be deleted.
avoidants is ACTIVELY moderated by sinje Do feel free to contact with suggestions, feedback, enquiries or anything that is related to this community.
Some changes have been made to LiveJournal, and we hope you enjoy them! As we continue to improve the site on a daily basis to make your experience here better and faster, we would greatly appreciate your feedback about these changes. Please let us know what we can do for you!